Every so often, Tom and I reluctantly hit our breaking point when it comes to neglecting our health on the weekends. The conversation normally goes like this:
*sniff sniff* “What’s that smell?”
“Oh… what is it?”
“It’s fried food, Caitlin. We smell like fried food.”
“Oh… maybe we should do something about that.”
“You mean, like, shower?”
“No, of course not. I mean, ya know, we should try cooking our breakfast next weekend instead of going to a greasy diner.”
Thus, the breakfast skillet scramble was born (this weekend we’ll be doing ONE ab exercise… we’re making some real strides). A skillet scramble was an obvious choice for us since we combine all of our breakfast food, anyway (like the disgusting creatures we are).
The scramble turned out great. We made it the next morning, too. It’s a shame our health-kick didn’t last long, because we’ve been to DK Diner five times since making this.
Serving Size: 2, Gluten-Free
- 8 small yellow potatoes, diced
- 1 lb chorizo
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green and red bell peppers
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Optional: a dash of milk for the eggs
- Place a small pot filled halfway with water over a medium flame – bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in diced potatoes and a pinch of salt and let boil for 10 minutes. Remove from flame and drain. Set to the side.
- In a large frying pan over a medium flame add olive oil and allow to heat.
- Add in boiled potatoes, garlic powder, pepper, and salt. Fry on each side for 5 minutes or until crisp.
- Add in chopped onion and peppers, and mix well. Continue frying for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add in your chorizo.
- With your spatula stab the chorizo to break it up. As it continues to cook it will become easier to break up. Cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Next, crack your eggs in a bowl (optional: add a splash of milk and salt) and scramble with a fork, then pour into your skillet mixture.
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, mixing and combining all ingredients the entire time. You want to make sure the eggs are well done.
- Sprinkle with cheese and any other seasonings you like!
Pretty easy? Okay, cool. Feel free to add or remove ingredients.